Thursday 15 February 2007

The language of love

As yesterday was Valentine’s Day, we thought we should look at the language of love, in particular, the verbs and prepositions of love! Of course, you all know that when you are lucky enough to meet that special someone, you fall in love (enamorarse); if you are really lucky, you may fall in love at first sight (enamorarse a primera vista)! If you spend all of your time with your loved one, your friends may say that you are crazy about him or her (tú estas loco/a por él /ella). Take care here, because if you say that someone is driving you crazy (alguien te va a volver loco, en sentido negativo), it means they make you really annoyed and angry! This is not a good phrase to use about your sweetheart (cariño, amor)! Did you know that before you fall in love, you might fancy someone? (podría gustarte alguien)This means that you like them a lot, and would like to know them a lot better! If you manage to get to know (llegar a conocer/conocer) the person you admire, you can go out on a date (quedar), and hopefully, you will get on well (llevarse bien). But, you may just have a crush on him or her (perder la cabeza por él/ella), which means that your feelings may change in time… You can also fall out of love (dejar de amar, desenamorarse), and in this case, you may break up (romper), or split up with (separarse de) your beloved (amado/a) (who then becomes your ex). But this is not a very good topic for Valentine’s Day! So if you have had an argument and fallen out (discutir), today of all days (justo hoy), you should try to make up with (reconciliarse con) the person who is close to your heart. As the custom on Valentine’s Day is to send cards or flowers, you have the perfect excuse to forgive and forget (perdonar y olvidar) whatever happened in the past, and make a fresh start! (empezar de nuevo)

Love is a wonderful topic we don't want to leave...snif,snif.... Would you like to translate the words or expressions in bold into Spanish? Thanks, my friends!!!

Text from BBC Learning English (Teacher Blog)

7 comments:

Sue said...

Hello!
What wonderful words...I hope some day I can tell someone this beautiful words!
For the time being, have to resign myself to translate them...

1.To fall in love = "enamorarse".

2.To fall in love at first sight= enamorarse a primera vista( but I'm not completely sure)

Well, I won't translate more words, so that every-one who wants can do it.

I'm very happy to see you writing here, Susi!

Lots of kisses!

Susana said...

You are great, Sue!! Well done!!

I have answered to you on Tami's post...I think so. Thanks.

With regard to this post, I'm tired of small, red hearts!! Do you have another more suggestive gif or picture?

Lots of kisses, good student...you are going to pass the History test...Don't worry!!!

Tamara said...

Hello,I was writing in the post of my birthday. I hope you answered me, because I´m really sad and stressed out, the reason is tomorrow history exam...At least, the blog give me calmness.
On the other hand...this is a very beautiful post, I like it a lot. I´m going to translate some expressions.
For example:
-You are crazy about him or her : Estás loco/a por él/ella
-Someone is driving you crazy: Alguien te está volviendo loco.
I´m not sure about them.

Lot´s of stressed kisses

Susana said...

By the way, I'm sure you will be able to tell someone (very attractive) these beautiful words but, that isn't all...you will listen to these words from someone you really fancy.

iMiS said...

hello¡¡ Did you understand your second commentary yet?
There are some of beautiful sentences….
*you are crazy about him or her … estar loco por él o por ella.
*someone is driving you crazy … Alguien te vuelve loco.
*sweetheart … novi@, (cariño, mi amor).
*to get to know… llegar a conocer.

Susana said...

Hi, Imis!! I don't understand the comment...sorry. I hope you'll explain it to me tomorrow, ok?

Irene, be careful when you use the expression:"Someone is driving me crazy"; it doesn't mean "me vuelve loco". The right translation is "someone makes you really annoyed and angry".

The rest is well done! You're great!

Thanks!! See you tomorrow.
XXX

Sue said...

Wow! There are so many comments!
Tonight it's THE BLOG NIGHT!

Well, I know Gema wants us to go to bed early...
So we'd better go to bed or tomorrow we arrive late...

I think we should say BYE, until tomorrow!!